For many of us Canadians, the winter of 2017-2018 has been a long and bitter journey so when the Weather Channel reported high double digit temperatures, I immediately began packing up the winter gear. I feel like this summer is so long awaited that I have spent a few sleepless night planning all the things I want to do with the boys once school is done. In the meantime, here are the 10 Things I love about Summer.
- Pedicures. The cold winter days had us covering up with socks and leg warmers so every year, I look forward to my first summer pedicure. I always purchase the package that includes all the extras like leg and feet massages. I’m booking an appointment as soon as I’m done writing!
- Sandals. Goodbye to clunky heavy winter boots and HELLO to sandals and flip flops. As much as I love the fashion of layering clothing, nothing beats being able to slip on some fancy slides. That flip flop sound is like music to my ears.
- Summer Clothing. I tend to be in denial throughout the winter months and I wear my summer dresses under layers of sweaters and hoodies. Now that summer is bringing on some humid high temps I am all about wearing next to nothing flowing breezy clothing. I can’t wait to be lounging around in my dresses outside instead of a pyjama option.
- Napping Outside. Ahhh that fresh summer air and the sounds of birds chirping and leaves dancing in the breeze.. Yup, one of my absolute favourite things to do is NAP! BUT the option of being able to sleep outside in the shade is no doable! I just purchased a new patio umbrella and am waiting on some new furniture. No, there will be no dining furniture, just straight up lounge chairs and sofas this year.
- Picnics. With a crazy busy schedule over the last few years, I really haven’t had a picnic with just my family in a long time. We used to go to the city park, buy a bucket of KFC and play football and frisbee. I think I’m going to implement that in my summer routine.
- Beaches. Canadian beaches have been hiding under blankets of ice and snow so once all of that melts away I can’t express how beautiful the beaches around the Great Lakes are in my country, yes, some have white sands. I hope to get on a boat this year, I haven’t been sailing in years!
- Campfires. After a full day of sun, it’s almost a given that there will be campfires in my summer future. The smell of burning wood and the sound of the crackling fire are so relaxing. It’s guaranteed that my hair would catch all the wood burning scents, but it’s worth it.
- BBQ. It isn’t a summer without a good cookout. I make requests for feasts of charcoal BBQ treats every year from my family and they never disappoint me. Not only do the children love fresh noms off the grill, but I love that there are no pots and pans to scrub after a BBQ dinner at my house.
- Quiet Days. I am very blessed that I live in a quiet neighbourhood and since I’m early retired, the mornings get so quiet with everyone at work. I have a new cardinal bird that has been showing off his vocal skills lately and it is the most beautiful sound to hear. I named him Mr. Wallace (*Pulp Fiction reference) and I look forward to hearing the breezes from right outside my bedroom window. I know my quiet days are numbered, the kids will be on summer holidays so I’m going to soak up every bit of silence I can get!
- Windows Open. I know it may not seem like a big deal, but being able to leave the windows open at night and in the early morning is a dream to me. I don’t hear traffic or people. Just the sounds of wind through the leaves of the trees, birds and crickets chirping. Oh Summer, thank you for waking up!
Think about all the things you love about Summer. If you, like me, realize that you haven’t done some of your favourite things in awhile, I hope you put it as a priority on your Summer To-Do List!
2017 ended with a lot of promise and a lot of planning and like every year previously, I have to start with a new planner. Now I have always had a journal where I would write out random thoughts, short stories, poems, ideas, etc. but I noticed that over time and as I found myself disciplining my thoughts more to tailor towards my goals, I found that my journals were feeling more like a “security blanket”. I was reading back through my writing and it was becoming more random and sadly I was even writing less frequently. I can freely admit this was most likely due to depression from fighting SJS, but I also feel that my writing instruments were getting a little outdated and boring. I came across the one bullet journal video and then before you know it I ended up watching a string of youtube videos for the entire day. I did some research on some different dot paper notebooks, art pens, art markers.. I placed my Amazon order, stalked it and waited impatiently for my new bullet journal adventure to begin.
Yes, I am a gadget girl and I do use my iPhone calendar for appointments, alarms etc. but guys, there just isn’t anything in this world that can ever compare to the power and magic of the pen to paper. I am and always will be a writer they are my favourite tools in the world. Since I’ve been using the bullet journal system, while adding some creative touches of my own, I’ve managed to be a lot more productive and inspired in my artwork as well. I kept my creative energy flowing and decided to move into a new studio with bigger space and amazing lighting.
Since I’ve been doing some much needed redecorating, I decided to include some of my art dolls into my room decor. Now, reborn doll collecting is a fairly new so displaying them is left in actual baby furniture, etc there are no stands for them. So I found a pillow in the shape of an elephant. I was so excited to find it because who doesn’t want a heffalump pillow?!
It’s definitely the right time for big moves!
You know those corny sayings that seem to clog the internet, you know, the ones where they are supposed to inspire you or uplift you? I read those quotes and I find one common thread between them all and that is the moment I was reading them, I should have been moving on and taking the next step towards my goal. As positive as they are, these are things we should be telling ourselves on a daily basis. I’m a strong believer in self preservation for the sake of the quality of life that you really want.
I was doing research, making appointments, drafting plans… and I stopped myself and smiled. In all my adulthood, 2017 has been the best I have had yet. I used to do things here and there, not out of things I had to do but for things I felt I needed to do. Going with the flow and letting go of this invisible control we all think we have.
Today, I started to notice how all the things I’ve been doing up to this point have come to fruition. I used to get stressed out when I didn’t know what was going to happen after working so hard. Now, I find myself smiling more and knowing that this whole journey was preparing me for something bigger than just what I love to do. I’m on my way to fulfill that mission I gave to myself.
My new addiction… The art of letting go…
I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis 7 years ago and I’ve come to understand my disease more and more each day. It’s much like riding a bike or driving, I remember how to do all those things regardless of how long it’s been since you tried riding each. MS is constantly called the “Monster” for good reason. There is no cure for MS and it leaves permanent damage everywhere it travels.
I’ll be going over the disease in a self-documentation of what my symptoms are and the various treatments that I have been trying over the years. I’m still learning more and more about my disease as well as being aware of how these symptoms have effected myself physically, emotionally and mentally.
I hope you enjoy my MS and Me serious.
I will post the video on my YouTube channel under: StilettoSupermom
Off we go…..
MS and Me Vlog Intro
MS and Me Vlog 1
It’s been awhile since I’ve done a gadget review, however I had to say something about this pretty yet purposeful gadget targeted to women.
I found this product in Winners while looking for a new replacement for a wallet I’ve had for over 3 years. I sifted through many styles including a Tommy Hilfiger one and I had to decide between the two. This is a wallet designed by Adrienne Vittadini it has a phone charger BUILT IN!
I am on my phone all day so yes I have to charge my phone before I leave then pray that my battery isn’t going to die. I drain my battery about halfway through my day and it is so annoying. This battery charger has already been a saviour!
The inside pouch has a semi-detachable charge station built inside secured by 2 snap buttons. It has a micro usb cord with a lightning adapter. Simple instructions on how to use the usb; flashing red light means charging solid red light means fully charged, blue means charging device. I have an iPhone SE and it fits perfectly in this wallet which has a wrist loop. I was looking to downsize my ever swollen wallets of the past and this is a great incentive to do it. So far, when I need an extra charge it’s right there and can be charged discretely without loose external batteries hanging around which isn’t very cute. Yes as a gadget gal, I will fall for anything that makes gadgets look cute.
If you have a chance to find this wallet or something similar, I highly recommend you pick one up to add to your summer fashion accessories. This will make an awesome gift for your fellow gadgeteers. If I find more of these wallets I’m gonna pick one up for my Mom. 😀
This is one of my favourite things to do in my surroundings. We have a fabulous fresh Farmer’s Market close by and I just love it. Fresh fruits and veggies, meats, baked goods and the sound of vendors yelling out their upcoming sales is like music to my ears. I even had a chance to look through all the furniture that I will be decorating my house with.
I stocked up in meats, bought some amazingly fresh butter and raspberry cream tarts and smoked mackerel. OMG I love this so much, it could be my childhood upbringing when my parents other family friends would get together have potluck dinners, there was always BBQd fish somewhere among the sea of Filipino foods. I decided that I want to share that same kind of traditions with my children.
I hope you enjoy the video of the travel to the Farmer’s Market!
More to come..
May was the craziest month of 2017, so far. 2 of my sons dislocated their shoulders, I had doctor and physio appointments top that with some rain and you get a beautiful disaster. It seemed that as soon as it was clear blue skies and bright sun, the weather would do a complete switch and it would be pouring rain and humid as hell. It has been a weird time of the year but I am not complaining. I’m too distracted by all the planning I have to do for next year.
The last 3 weeks i’ve been filling doll orders as well as planning for a big event in May of 2018. There’s so much to do and to tell you the truth, it kind of feels like I’m planning a huge elaborate wedding! NO I am NOT getting married lol. I remember when I was part of the Filipino Association as the Treasurer. I had to organize the bills and quotations as well as book the event facility. Mind you, it was a hell of lot easier because I had a large team of 8 people who took over a lot of the mundane work I didn’t have time for. Now, here I am with a team of 4 people trying to organize the whole thing.. from the decorations, entertainment and food.. it’s all me. There are packages to prepare, contests to plan… just as I am writing this I feel my brain throbbing with all the planning I have yet to do. I did manage to lock the date and facility down, but now my creative juices have to start kicking into full swing! I definitely need a bigger team.
As I look at all the upcoming appointments for my sons, follow up appointments for me, etc. The more I see sleepless nights in my horizon. I don’t mind though, with a 4 year old full of energy surrounding me during the day, the only time that works is when all the pterodactyls are snoring away. Does anyone else find more time to focus on detailed things at night? I feel like I’m not alone in this.
They say working from home is way harder than working outside the home, this is so true. It’s not like I can checkout and come back the next day to finish tasks. Every day I wake up and there’s a mountain of things to do; add in the event planning and boom a fulfilled evening is born. I love the quiet of night time working, but there are times where my procrastination takes over for a bit. I’m surprisingly way ahead of deadlines and while on this journey, I have met so many amazing people that have offered a helping hand. The world may be cynical but the balance is surrounding yourself with positive people who are excited to help you succeed. If it wasn’t for all my new found support and newly developing friendships all my preparations and planning wouldn’t be this fun.
Sometimes you get little reminders here and there that you are on the right path, every time I meet a new friend it solidifies that I have the support I need and I am finally on the road to success and true happiness. Summer is going to be fabulous and I can’t wait to share more of my adventures!
I hope you are all having a happy and positive day. I also hope that you choose happiness in whatever you are currently into. Yes you have to work hard, but you also have to play hard.. that’s what happiness is.