For many of us Canadians, the winter of 2017-2018 has been a long and bitter journey so when the Weather Channel reported high double digit temperatures, I immediately began packing up the winter gear. I feel like this summer is so long awaited that I have spent a few sleepless night planning all the things I want to do with the boys once school is done. In the meantime, here are the 10 Things I love about Summer.
- Pedicures. The cold winter days had us covering up with socks and leg warmers so every year, I look forward to my first summer pedicure. I always purchase the package that includes all the extras like leg and feet massages. I’m booking an appointment as soon as I’m done writing!
- Sandals. Goodbye to clunky heavy winter boots and HELLO to sandals and flip flops. As much as I love the fashion of layering clothing, nothing beats being able to slip on some fancy slides. That flip flop sound is like music to my ears.
- Summer Clothing. I tend to be in denial throughout the winter months and I wear my summer dresses under layers of sweaters and hoodies. Now that summer is bringing on some humid high temps I am all about wearing next to nothing flowing breezy clothing. I can’t wait to be lounging around in my dresses outside instead of a pyjama option.
- Napping Outside. Ahhh that fresh summer air and the sounds of birds chirping and leaves dancing in the breeze.. Yup, one of my absolute favourite things to do is NAP! BUT the option of being able to sleep outside in the shade is no doable! I just purchased a new patio umbrella and am waiting on some new furniture. No, there will be no dining furniture, just straight up lounge chairs and sofas this year.
- Picnics. With a crazy busy schedule over the last few years, I really haven’t had a picnic with just my family in a long time. We used to go to the city park, buy a bucket of KFC and play football and frisbee. I think I’m going to implement that in my summer routine.
- Beaches. Canadian beaches have been hiding under blankets of ice and snow so once all of that melts away I can’t express how beautiful the beaches around the Great Lakes are in my country, yes, some have white sands. I hope to get on a boat this year, I haven’t been sailing in years!
- Campfires. After a full day of sun, it’s almost a given that there will be campfires in my summer future. The smell of burning wood and the sound of the crackling fire are so relaxing. It’s guaranteed that my hair would catch all the wood burning scents, but it’s worth it.
- BBQ. It isn’t a summer without a good cookout. I make requests for feasts of charcoal BBQ treats every year from my family and they never disappoint me. Not only do the children love fresh noms off the grill, but I love that there are no pots and pans to scrub after a BBQ dinner at my house.
- Quiet Days. I am very blessed that I live in a quiet neighbourhood and since I’m early retired, the mornings get so quiet with everyone at work. I have a new cardinal bird that has been showing off his vocal skills lately and it is the most beautiful sound to hear. I named him Mr. Wallace (*Pulp Fiction reference) and I look forward to hearing the breezes from right outside my bedroom window. I know my quiet days are numbered, the kids will be on summer holidays so I’m going to soak up every bit of silence I can get!
- Windows Open. I know it may not seem like a big deal, but being able to leave the windows open at night and in the early morning is a dream to me. I don’t hear traffic or people. Just the sounds of wind through the leaves of the trees, birds and crickets chirping. Oh Summer, thank you for waking up!
Think about all the things you love about Summer. If you, like me, realize that you haven’t done some of your favourite things in awhile, I hope you put it as a priority on your Summer To-Do List!
Leave a Reply