Another very interesting week of up and down weather. BIT I’m still not complaining! I’ve been looking forward to coffees outside in the mornings and afternoon barbecues.
I decided to go to the local farmers market (Trails End) for some fresh produce. This is my favourite place to shop, I like to travel to small towns to shop, I find so many great deals! This visit, I purchased some smoked mackerel fish, broccoli, asparagus and mushrooms. This is one of the kids’ favourite meals, of course with a side of rice, lol.
I browsed around the furniture section ( I’m redecorating the basement ) and got some great ideas. There were also some beautiful summer dresses for sale that I found. I’ll definitely be going back to stock up. The resort will be open this weekend so I need to get prepared!
If you get a chance, please support the local farmers in your area and fill yourselves with some fresh fruit and veggies!
For many of us Canadians, the winter of 2017-2018 has been a long and bitter journey so when the Weather Channel reported high double digit temperatures, I immediately began packing up the winter gear. I feel like this summer is so long awaited that I have spent a few sleepless night planning all the things I want to do with the boys once school is done. In the meantime, here are the 10 Things I love about Summer.
- Pedicures. The cold winter days had us covering up with socks and leg warmers so every year, I look forward to my first summer pedicure. I always purchase the package that includes all the extras like leg and feet massages. I’m booking an appointment as soon as I’m done writing!
- Sandals. Goodbye to clunky heavy winter boots and HELLO to sandals and flip flops. As much as I love the fashion of layering clothing, nothing beats being able to slip on some fancy slides. That flip flop sound is like music to my ears.
- Summer Clothing. I tend to be in denial throughout the winter months and I wear my summer dresses under layers of sweaters and hoodies. Now that summer is bringing on some humid high temps I am all about wearing next to nothing flowing breezy clothing. I can’t wait to be lounging around in my dresses outside instead of a pyjama option.
- Napping Outside. Ahhh that fresh summer air and the sounds of birds chirping and leaves dancing in the breeze.. Yup, one of my absolute favourite things to do is NAP! BUT the option of being able to sleep outside in the shade is no doable! I just purchased a new patio umbrella and am waiting on some new furniture. No, there will be no dining furniture, just straight up lounge chairs and sofas this year.
- Picnics. With a crazy busy schedule over the last few years, I really haven’t had a picnic with just my family in a long time. We used to go to the city park, buy a bucket of KFC and play football and frisbee. I think I’m going to implement that in my summer routine.
- Beaches. Canadian beaches have been hiding under blankets of ice and snow so once all of that melts away I can’t express how beautiful the beaches around the Great Lakes are in my country, yes, some have white sands. I hope to get on a boat this year, I haven’t been sailing in years!
- Campfires. After a full day of sun, it’s almost a given that there will be campfires in my summer future. The smell of burning wood and the sound of the crackling fire are so relaxing. It’s guaranteed that my hair would catch all the wood burning scents, but it’s worth it.
- BBQ. It isn’t a summer without a good cookout. I make requests for feasts of charcoal BBQ treats every year from my family and they never disappoint me. Not only do the children love fresh noms off the grill, but I love that there are no pots and pans to scrub after a BBQ dinner at my house.
- Quiet Days. I am very blessed that I live in a quiet neighbourhood and since I’m early retired, the mornings get so quiet with everyone at work. I have a new cardinal bird that has been showing off his vocal skills lately and it is the most beautiful sound to hear. I named him Mr. Wallace (*Pulp Fiction reference) and I look forward to hearing the breezes from right outside my bedroom window. I know my quiet days are numbered, the kids will be on summer holidays so I’m going to soak up every bit of silence I can get!
- Windows Open. I know it may not seem like a big deal, but being able to leave the windows open at night and in the early morning is a dream to me. I don’t hear traffic or people. Just the sounds of wind through the leaves of the trees, birds and crickets chirping. Oh Summer, thank you for waking up!
Think about all the things you love about Summer. If you, like me, realize that you haven’t done some of your favourite things in awhile, I hope you put it as a priority on your Summer To-Do List!
2017 ended with a lot of promise and a lot of planning and like every year previously, I have to start with a new planner. Now I have always had a journal where I would write out random thoughts, short stories, poems, ideas, etc. but I noticed that over time and as I found myself disciplining my thoughts more to tailor towards my goals, I found that my journals were feeling more like a “security blanket”. I was reading back through my writing and it was becoming more random and sadly I was even writing less frequently. I can freely admit this was most likely due to depression from fighting SJS, but I also feel that my writing instruments were getting a little outdated and boring. I came across the one bullet journal video and then before you know it I ended up watching a string of youtube videos for the entire day. I did some research on some different dot paper notebooks, art pens, art markers.. I placed my Amazon order, stalked it and waited impatiently for my new bullet journal adventure to begin.
Yes, I am a gadget girl and I do use my iPhone calendar for appointments, alarms etc. but guys, there just isn’t anything in this world that can ever compare to the power and magic of the pen to paper. I am and always will be a writer they are my favourite tools in the world. Since I’ve been using the bullet journal system, while adding some creative touches of my own, I’ve managed to be a lot more productive and inspired in my artwork as well. I kept my creative energy flowing and decided to move into a new studio with bigger space and amazing lighting.
Since I’ve been doing some much needed redecorating, I decided to include some of my art dolls into my room decor. Now, reborn doll collecting is a fairly new so displaying them is left in actual baby furniture, etc there are no stands for them. So I found a pillow in the shape of an elephant. I was so excited to find it because who doesn’t want a heffalump pillow?!
It’s definitely the right time for big moves!
I had a fantastic Thanksgiving celebrating with family and some new found friends. I love being surrounded by so much positivity. The weather is beautiful, the kids are happy and there’s nothing but awesomeness coming up!
You know those corny sayings that seem to clog the internet, you know, the ones where they are supposed to inspire you or uplift you? I read those quotes and I find one common thread between them all and that is the moment I was reading them, I should have been moving on and taking the next step towards my goal. As positive as they are, these are things we should be telling ourselves on a daily basis. I’m a strong believer in self preservation for the sake of the quality of life that you really want.
I was doing research, making appointments, drafting plans… and I stopped myself and smiled. In all my adulthood, 2017 has been the best I have had yet. I used to do things here and there, not out of things I had to do but for things I felt I needed to do. Going with the flow and letting go of this invisible control we all think we have.
Today, I started to notice how all the things I’ve been doing up to this point have come to fruition. I used to get stressed out when I didn’t know what was going to happen after working so hard. Now, I find myself smiling more and knowing that this whole journey was preparing me for something bigger than just what I love to do. I’m on my way to fulfill that mission I gave to myself.
My new addiction… The art of letting go…
What a fantastic celebration for my beautiful country! I’ve been reuniting with family and solidifying our bonds all day!
I’ve had weeks of excitement watching my fellow Canadians decorating their homes, cars and clothing with our beautiful red and white colours. This is the one day that I wanted to be filled with love and laughter and it came true.
Canada has given my family so much opportunity. From the Philippines to Canada my family was welcomed despite the ignorance of racism and the uphill climb to success. Being born and raised here, I have learned so much and I continue to learn more about Canada each day. I am a proud Canadian living in the best country in the world. The best part of living here is being surrounded by so many cultures and traditions from all over the world united in one country. Canada is best described in our own anthem. If you ever get a chance come on up here and enjoy us. We work hard and play harder 😊
O Canada, our home and native land
True patriot love, in all thy sons command
With glowing hearts we see thee rise
The True North strong and free
From far and wide, O Canada, we stand on guard for thee
God keep our land, glorious and free
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee
O Canada we stand on guard for thee