For many of us Canadians, the winter of 2017-2018 has been a long and bitter journey so when the Weather Channel reported high double digit temperatures, I immediately began packing up the winter gear. I feel like this summer is so long awaited that I have spent a few sleepless night planning all the things I want to do with the boys once school is done. In the meantime, here are the 10 Things I love about Summer.
- Pedicures. The cold winter days had us covering up with socks and leg warmers so every year, I look forward to my first summer pedicure. I always purchase the package that includes all the extras like leg and feet massages. I’m booking an appointment as soon as I’m done writing!
- Sandals. Goodbye to clunky heavy winter boots and HELLO to sandals and flip flops. As much as I love the fashion of layering clothing, nothing beats being able to slip on some fancy slides. That flip flop sound is like music to my ears.
- Summer Clothing. I tend to be in denial throughout the winter months and I wear my summer dresses under layers of sweaters and hoodies. Now that summer is bringing on some humid high temps I am all about wearing next to nothing flowing breezy clothing. I can’t wait to be lounging around in my dresses outside instead of a pyjama option.
- Napping Outside. Ahhh that fresh summer air and the sounds of birds chirping and leaves dancing in the breeze.. Yup, one of my absolute favourite things to do is NAP! BUT the option of being able to sleep outside in the shade is no doable! I just purchased a new patio umbrella and am waiting on some new furniture. No, there will be no dining furniture, just straight up lounge chairs and sofas this year.
- Picnics. With a crazy busy schedule over the last few years, I really haven’t had a picnic with just my family in a long time. We used to go to the city park, buy a bucket of KFC and play football and frisbee. I think I’m going to implement that in my summer routine.
- Beaches. Canadian beaches have been hiding under blankets of ice and snow so once all of that melts away I can’t express how beautiful the beaches around the Great Lakes are in my country, yes, some have white sands. I hope to get on a boat this year, I haven’t been sailing in years!
- Campfires. After a full day of sun, it’s almost a given that there will be campfires in my summer future. The smell of burning wood and the sound of the crackling fire are so relaxing. It’s guaranteed that my hair would catch all the wood burning scents, but it’s worth it.
- BBQ. It isn’t a summer without a good cookout. I make requests for feasts of charcoal BBQ treats every year from my family and they never disappoint me. Not only do the children love fresh noms off the grill, but I love that there are no pots and pans to scrub after a BBQ dinner at my house.
- Quiet Days. I am very blessed that I live in a quiet neighbourhood and since I’m early retired, the mornings get so quiet with everyone at work. I have a new cardinal bird that has been showing off his vocal skills lately and it is the most beautiful sound to hear. I named him Mr. Wallace (*Pulp Fiction reference) and I look forward to hearing the breezes from right outside my bedroom window. I know my quiet days are numbered, the kids will be on summer holidays so I’m going to soak up every bit of silence I can get!
- Windows Open. I know it may not seem like a big deal, but being able to leave the windows open at night and in the early morning is a dream to me. I don’t hear traffic or people. Just the sounds of wind through the leaves of the trees, birds and crickets chirping. Oh Summer, thank you for waking up!
Think about all the things you love about Summer. If you, like me, realize that you haven’t done some of your favourite things in awhile, I hope you put it as a priority on your Summer To-Do List!
This documentary series is one of the best ones Netflix has released. It raises intriguing questions like if someone is mentally ill are they capable of murder? Could love and obsession be the driving force in this case? The beheading of the victim was not necessary, how could they “ok” that? How did it get so far?
It took me on a psychological journey, complete actual footage of the victim’s death. I remember, back in 2003 watching this on the News. Evetyone just stood watching him. You feel so helpless listening to this man crying out to them that he can hear this ticking bomb going and all the policemen could do is stand around with their guns out and just wait for something to happen. It was such a tragedy to watch and for the families to even get the news through the media.
One of the most astonishing points of the series was when the several law departments scattered all over the place were more concerned about who was in charge rather than who committed the crime!
I’m so intrigued by this story and wonder if there is another season in the making. Until then, make sure you add this show to your summer nights when you want a bit of creepy intrigue.
Let me know your thoughts!
I feel like this Spring is the most highly anticipated I’ve ever experienced! I’ve had time to get myself organized with my Publicist duties and now planning a huge international convention. I have met so many amazing people over the last few months and they have been so supportive and excited for the upcoming show. Putting a team together was a huge fear I was having because I didn’t know how to articulate my vision. Fate stepped in and I met an amazing woman who partnered up with me because she saw and believed in my vision. With her vast experience and huge roster of contacts we’ve become quite the team! I’ve forgotten how wonderful people can be. The response to our event has blown me away! The excitement for our special events and awards dinner has been astoundingly positive. There is still so much to do but I’ve been having the time of my life bringing people together. I’ve booked some instructors for classes, Special Guests and I still have a lot more to contact.
On the home front, the boys have also shown me such love and support. I am planning a special resort vacation for them this summer with our family friends. Yes I’m an admitted workaholic so planning an escape was difficult but now with the beauty of the internet there’s no stopping us. I was also thinking of making an herb garden that my little 5 year old can take part in. I used to have a herb garden with chives and basil in my old house. I miss the taste of fresh herbs in my food, plus with barbecue season coming up I’ve got some great salads and side dishes I’m going to make.
All in all, there has been a lot of “seed” planting and things are transforming faster than I had ever imagined!
I hope you are all having a great day and cheers to Spring!!
2017 ended with a lot of promise and a lot of planning and like every year previously, I have to start with a new planner. Now I have always had a journal where I would write out random thoughts, short stories, poems, ideas, etc. but I noticed that over time and as I found myself disciplining my thoughts more to tailor towards my goals, I found that my journals were feeling more like a “security blanket”. I was reading back through my writing and it was becoming more random and sadly I was even writing less frequently. I can freely admit this was most likely due to depression from fighting SJS, but I also feel that my writing instruments were getting a little outdated and boring. I came across the one bullet journal video and then before you know it I ended up watching a string of youtube videos for the entire day. I did some research on some different dot paper notebooks, art pens, art markers.. I placed my Amazon order, stalked it and waited impatiently for my new bullet journal adventure to begin.
Yes, I am a gadget girl and I do use my iPhone calendar for appointments, alarms etc. but guys, there just isn’t anything in this world that can ever compare to the power and magic of the pen to paper. I am and always will be a writer they are my favourite tools in the world. Since I’ve been using the bullet journal system, while adding some creative touches of my own, I’ve managed to be a lot more productive and inspired in my artwork as well. I kept my creative energy flowing and decided to move into a new studio with bigger space and amazing lighting.
Since I’ve been doing some much needed redecorating, I decided to include some of my art dolls into my room decor. Now, reborn doll collecting is a fairly new so displaying them is left in actual baby furniture, etc there are no stands for them. So I found a pillow in the shape of an elephant. I was so excited to find it because who doesn’t want a heffalump pillow?!
It’s definitely the right time for big moves!
A follow up to my las Vlog about my skin reaction to my new drugs.
I called my doctor on Friday and explained all the problems with my skin, night sweats, etc. As part of the neurological team of specialists working with me, I have never experienced a doctor, let alone a specialist, drop everything to get on a 3-way call with his nurse and me to instruct me to reduce my meds immediately. It’s pretty scary since I’ve been on these meds for a year!
I was in the early stages of Stevens-Johnson syndrome and basically was chemically burning from the inside out and my organs were starting to shut down.. in a nutshell I was dying and days away from being hospitalized. The syndrome would’ve meant I would’ve been treated in the intensive care burn unit and would take months to recover! I describe the rash pain like when you scrape your knee, for example, it starts to heal but is tender to touch during the process. It’s the same feeling only the pain is from under the skin. It’s the weirdest thing. The human body is amazingly resilient and efficient. It was trying to get rid of all this chemical crap that was in my system.
The trick to this whole MS disease is the delicate balance of medication which changes and can easily be thrown out of whack. The hard part is that as soon as I feel good I don’t want that feeling to go away despite the side effects. I guess my balance has to be found in not enduring through the side effects. I’m not much of a complainer, but I’m gonna have to start writing some issues down.
Travel and events in the next year are already in full swing, contracts signed, staff to hire, etc. I need to be in medical healthy balance now more than ever! I hope this is the last hurdle I have to jump through.
I would say that’d be my Christmas miracle this year. Being with my whole family for the holidays has been awesome despite my medical scare. My family has completely fallen into abundance. Being around friends who share the same core values, interests and enjoy a good game of cards or pool 🎱 has been so fun. I’ve seen a whole different side of Canada and I’m going to see even more in the new year. I will definitely share that here.
Hope everyone is having a great week! Stay healthy, listen to your gut feelings and always love yourself and your life! Take care my friends ❤️
I’ve been sick lately which has forced me to slow down on a few time sensitive things such as poster and media, designs, target dates.. it was getting to be a bit much. I guess this cold is somewhat of a double edged sword.
I get a lot of questions about my dolls. I used to be really stand-off-ish with everyone because I really wasn’t confident in my work. Like most artists I know we are our own worst critic but it wasn’t until the last 3 years that I finally let go and embraced what I’ve learned and continue to learn about my craft.
For the next part of my journey I’ve decided to get a little more artsy fartsy. Now this won’t be just a road of making and selling dolls, I’ll be documenting more if my personal journey as an artist. So let’s begin tonight.
It’s 1:43am and I’m waiting for the paint to dry while watching Netflix on my iPad. The house is nice and quiet and there’s only one light coming from my desk lamp. It actually reminds me of my childhood. When I was in either grade 1 or 2, I loved the Disney version of Pinocchio. There was a picture of Geppetto working in his workshop at night looking up at the sky wishing for Pinocchio. Haha I guess it’s eerily very similar. This took s very strange turn. Maybe it’s the paint fumes 🤷🏻♀️
I can’t say how happy I am to finally be able to enjoy my artwork. I love what I do! I’ve been slowly building my doll collection, yes I’m probably going to be one of those women with a bunch of dolls. I did promise myself to not get crazy and go over 10 dolls in the entire house… ok well, I promised my boys.
It’s the beginning of the Christmas season and I can already hear the sound of crunch time. I have a few dolls to make before Christmas and few of my own I want to complete.
A couple of events happened over the last couple months that would’ve left me jaded about 5 years ago, but today is a very different day. I felt validated and self assured that I am on the right path. It’s funny what they say. When you feel adversity or opposition from others, it says a lot more about them than it does about you. I’ve learned that you do choose your future and things may look bleak but it must look that way temporarily in order to achieve what you deserve. 2018 is coming up fast and I am extremely excited! There will be lots of meetings, planning, coordinating, but my goal is worth it!
Let the Christmas songs, sweaters and Santa pictures begin! 🎄